Are you suffering from the issue of an oversized Exchange Server (.edb file)? Then this blog post is going to be beneficial for you. Here in this article, we will discuss the benefits and methods to shrink Exchange Database.
Here are the storage and groups limits of the versions of Exchange Server:-
- In Exchange Server 2007 version takes the capacity of storing up to 250 GB and there are 50 storage groups
- Exchange Server 2010 version takes the capacity of storing up to 2 TB and there are 100 storage groups
- 2013 version of Exchange Server storage capacity 2TB and storage groups decreased from 100 to 50.
Benefits for the Defragmentation of Exchange Database
Here are the benefits for reducing the size of Exchange database .edb file:-
- The exchange server can quickly respond to the mailbox request so the communication of emails get faster
- Mailbox can be easily organized because the older data gets migrate to a different folder
- Because of the exchange defragmentation, the space of the EDB file gets increases so the users can save more information on it.
Ways to Shrink Exchange Database
So if the Exchange Database size gets oversized and you want to reduce it then follow the below methods.
1. Delete Unwanted Data from the Database
Here you can shrink Exchange database by deleting the unwanted data from the Exchange Server. Make sure to don’t delete the important information by mistake because the information gets deleted permanently. And after deleting the unnecessary data you will see more space on your EDB file. Then the Exchange server used that space to store newly data.
2. Using Exchange Admin Center
If you are a user of Exchange 2013 then this method definitely going to work for you. Exchange admin center migrate Exchange mailbox that will help to reduce Exchange database size. Follow below steps:-
- Launch Exchange Admin Center
- Now tap on Mailboxes and choose the needed mailboxes
- Do right-click on it and tap on the export option
- Here when the process gets complete select a recipient for sending notification
- And just tap on the next > finish.
Users can also take the backup of the EDB file by converting it into PST format using a third-party tool. So at this time, you can go with the SysInspire Exchange Server recovery tool that allows the users to convert EDB to PST with data integrity. And the best thing about this tool is there is no limit on the size of the EDB file it can convert any size of the EDB file.
So all the above-discussed methods allow the users to shrink Exchange database. And if you want to take the backup of your Exchange database you can use the SysInspire Exchange Server recovery tool. The tool gives the easy steps to convert EDB to PST because of its user-friendly interface.