PowerShell or Exchange Management Shell (EMS) is a free program executed by the brand Microsoft to check the status of Exchange Server with a command-line interface. It checks the mailbox status and connects or disconnects the Exchange Database but the user also can use this program to Export Exchange Mailbox to PST.
This utility is capable of converting EDB to PST and works in Exchange Server versions including 2007, 2010, and 2013.
Before using PowerShell to Export Exchange 2010 Mailbox to PST Firstly, let’s discuss the EDB files and PST files.
EXCHANGE DATABASES (EDB)
- These are the files that store all mailbox items from Exchange Server.
- All Exchange Mailbox components are present in this EDB file that helps users to make a back-up of their important database.
- It includes Emails, Attachments, Journals, Tasks, Notes, Calendars, and many more.
PERSONAL STORAGE TABLE (PST)
- Personal Storage Table is an open file format used to store copies of messages, calendar events, and other stuff of Microsoft Outlook.
What are the reasons to Export Exchange Mailbox to PST?
The basic reasons for transferring Exchange mailbox from EDB file to PST files are as follows:-
- The conversion helps in reducing the chances of corruption in EDB files.
- By converting EDB to PST, one can easily access the Exchange mailboxes in MS Outlook email client.
- One can even limit the size of Exchange mailboxes by exporting them to PST. EDB files are larger in size, so users can convert EDB to PST files to free up some space.
Methods to convert EDB to PST are:-
i) PowerShell to Convert EDB to PST
ii) SysInspire EDB to PST Converter
Utilize PowerShell to Export EDB to PST
Requirements to use PowerShell
- The user must have Exchange ADMINISTRATION rights for the execution of PowerShell to export EDB mailbox to PST.
- The saving location of PST is bound to be shared.
Steps for converting EDB to PST using PowerShell for Exchange Server 2010:-
Step 1: Run the given PowerShell command to get the list of all mailboxes:
Get – MailboxStatistics – Database <DatabaseName>
Step 2: Use the provided command to simply export mailbox from the EDB file to PST
New- Mailbox Export Request – Mailbox <MailboxName> – FilePath \\ Exchange Backup \ PST \ Mailbox Name.PST
Step 3: To check the status of the mailbox export request run the following command.
Get – Mailbox Export Request
Step 4: After completing the export method, the export request task is canceled through the following command.
Remove – Mailbox Export Request – Identity <Name of the export request>
Limitations of PowerShell
- The user should be a technical person having good knowledge about the conversion.
- The mailbox which is to be converted should be mounted with Exchange Server.
Most Recommended Solution to Convert EDB to PST
SysInpsire EDB to PST Converter tool is the best alternative of PowerShell to make the conversion of an EDB file to PST with all its inner mailbox components. By using this tool, users can easily recover the lost mailbox items of corrupt EDB file and can simply transfer them to PST.
Steps to Export Exchange Mailbox to PST
- Firstly Download and Open The Software.
- Click on the Add file button.
- Click on the “browse” or “search EDB file” button to get the EDB file for its conversion.
- Now the tool automatically generates a live preview of all EDB file inner database as shown below:-
- The required items are to be selected from the provided data.
- Select the destination folder and file format to save the converted file.
- Click Start Export button to start the conversion.
The user who has extra knowledge regarding the technical skills and can export mailboxes easily should use PowerShell utility, but this tool is not suitable for the beginners or the users who are not educated regarding this utility.
So, it is effective to use the third party software named SysInspire EDB to PST Converter Software.
It has offered a highly impressive GUI by which the user can use it to perform conversion of EDB file to PST without any great efforts or wasting their valuable time.