Microsoft Outlook is the most powerful emailing service but people still face various issues while using this service. Multiple errors occur in Outlook in different stages but they can be resolved by their own methods. One of those errors is “The Set of Folders Cannot Be Opened”. Through this blog, we have mentioned the answers to resolve this error conveniently.
Simply utilize SysInspire PST Recovery that allows to repair all Outlook errors and also converts PST files into multiple working file formats including- Outlook PST, MBOX, ICS, HTML, vCard, Office 365, etc.
Manual Solutions to fix errors “The Set of Folders Cannot Be Opened”?
Solution 1: Create a new Outlook profile
Occasionally, the settings of your MS Outlook can get wrong due to unexpected errors. If that is the case, then you need to create a new Outlook profile.
- Go to ‘Control Panel’ and then, choose ‘Mail’.
- Choose the ‘Show Profiles’ option, after that a new wizard will appear.
- Click the ‘Add’ button and enter the title of your profile. Then, enter the account details in the ‘Auto Account Setup’ window.
- As you create a new profile, it is going to arise on the ‘General’ tab.
- You need to select a new profile in the section named ‘When starting Outlook, use this profile’. You will see a drop-down menu of ‘Always use this profile’, where you need to select the new profile followed by clicking ‘OK’.
- Restart your MS Outlook now and if the same starts normally, then it means the previous Outlook profile was troublesome.
You can discard that profile, but make sure to create a backup for the same.
Solution 2: Start Outlook in Safe Mode
The simplest and easy to go method to solve the problem is to run MS Outlook in safe mode. The add-ins won’t load in ‘Safe Mode’.
To run MS Outlook in safe mode, follow the process:
- Start ‘Run’ command. For that, press the ‘Windows + R’ key.
- Type ‘Outlook /safe’ and press OK.
- A dialogue box will arise by the name of ‘Choose Profile’, so click ‘OK’ to that.
If Outlook starts normally in the safe mode, then there were issues with add-ins.
Solution 3: Disable add-ins
As your Outlook is functioning fine in the safe mode, you should disable the add-ins. For that, follow these steps:
- Open Outlook, Go to the ‘File’ tab >> ‘Options’ >> ‘Add-ins’.
- At the bottom of the window, you need to go to the ‘Manage box’ where you have to select ‘COM Add-ins’.
- Then, click the ‘Go’ button.
- You are now going to find a list of all add-ins that work with Outlook and deselect all those.
- Then, click ‘OK’.
Now, you need to restart Outlook and check if the error has been resolved or not.
Solution 4: Reset Navigation Pane
The navigation pane comprises all the folders related to your Outlook data files and icons such as Tasks, Contacts, and Calendar. If you reset the navigation pane, then all the customization you possess will also be deleted.
But, it can be a solution for the Microsoft Outlook error message ‘the set of folders cannot be opened’.
To reset the navigation pane, users required to run a command, i.e., ‘/resetnavpane’ on his computer.
- Shut down all the apps associated with MS Outlook.
- Press the‘ Windows + R’ key to open the Run command.
- Type ‘outlook.exe /resetnavpane’ in the dialogue box and then, press ‘Enter’.
- If MS Outlook begins to open normally after the mentioned command, then it means the problem is fixed.
Solution 5: Install the 64-bit version of Office
The 32-bit version of MS Office doesn’t provide that much reliability as 64-bit version. And it is noted that ‘the set of folders cannot be opened’ error mostly appears in the 32-bit version of MS Outlook.
However, if you are using a 64-bit version of MS Office and still facing the same error, then it is recommended to reinstall this version again. The 64-bit version provides better accomplishment and durability.
Solution 6: Repair Outlook data files.
All the data of Outlook is stored in data files with PST extension. At times, these data files can get unethical due to various reasons.
However, you can get these data files repaired with the help of the ‘Inbox Repair Tool’ or any other program. Here is how you can scan the Outlook data file.
- Go to Windows Explorer and on the address bar put the given text.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Find ‘ScanPST.exe’ and run it on your system.
- Browse the file you wish to repair followed by clicking the ‘Start’ button to scan the file.
- As the scanning process completes, click the ‘Repair’ button to repair the file.
The outlook error- Set of folders cannot be opened is such a fallacy that has no actual cause for occurrence. There are tremendous ways and techniques for solving the error. Still, If you are unable to fix the PST errors even with the manual methods like ScanPST, then use SysInspire Outlook PST Repair Tool. It helps you fix all of the Outlook error and gives guaranteed outcomes.