If you are a regular user of Outlook then you should know that the OST file helps you to work with your mailbox items even in the offline mode.
And sometimes a situation comes where the users need to move OST file to new computer. Therefore in this article am going to give you the most useful techniques that lead to transfer outlook email to new computer.
So that’s the reason you should read this entire article.
Remember if you use Outlook with a POP account it generates the PST file for storing the mailbox information. In this scenario, users can move.pst files to new computer and after can Import the PST file into account of Outlook of a new computer.
And you have configured the Outlook with an IMAP Server. Then Outlook will make a .ost file for storing the mailbox data on the local path of the system. But the problem is it can not be move like a PST file.
The only way to access the OST file is to open it from the same computer and account from which it is created.
Hence if the user wants to move Outlook data file to new computer you need to convert the OST file into PST with all the databases. Then import PST file in the account of Outlook to a new computer.
Process to Move OST File to New Computer
For your comfort, we have divided the whole process into 4 stages. Where we will export the OST file then transfer and import it to another computer.
- Stage 1- Transferring Outlook files to PST
- Stage 2- Transfer PST files to Another Computer
- Stage 3- Creation of Outlook Profile to Access Data
- Stage 4- Import Converted PST File into Old Outlook Profile
Stage No.1- Transferring Outlook files to PST
Now we are assuming that your Outlook data file and account are working fine. So you can export OST to PST with all its data items with the help of the free import & export tool by Microsoft.
- Launch the MS outlook program
- Visit the file section and Open & Export then select Import & Export button.
- Now in the display screen you need to tap on export to a file and tap on the next.
- Then you need to choose Outlook data file (.pst) and click next.
- In next window you can watch all the mailbox folders. Click on those folder you need to export and click next.
- At last click on the browse option to save a PST file on a specific path location.
Tip:- You can also directly move outlook PST file to new computer by connecting any external storage disk with the computer. And while choosing the save path of PST file select the external source you connected.
Important Notice: If Outlook data File Corrupted
If the OST file is corrupted then the above method doesn’t work for you. So to convert orphaned OST to PST you should try the SysInspire OST to PST Converter. And you can also use the free trial version of this tool from the below.
Stage No.2- Transfer PST files to Another Computer
After the completion of OST to PST conversion on the old machine, you need to transfer PST files to another computer.
For this, you need to move the PST files to any outside storage media. Then connect this storage media with the computer where you like to save the PST file and copy this PST file to the hard drive of the computer.
Related Queries by the Users:- How to Recover Deleted OST file?
Stage No.3- Creating an Outlook Profile to Access PST Data
So here we will import the PST file on a newly created Outlook profile. Hence you need to create an Outlook profile on the device for accessing the PST file.
Here are the steps:-
- Hold Window + R key and put Outlook.exe /manageprofiles and hit enter.
- Tap on the add button and put a name of the profile.
- Here enter all the information which are required to login.
- Now under the section of deliver new messages to: check existing Outlook data file option. After that click on the browse button and select the PST file you moved to the new computer.
- Tap on next and the process gets complete.
Stage No.4- Import Converted PST File into Old Outlook Profile
When you import a PST file to another computer you can import that PST file into Outlook.
Let’s Import PST into Outlook with the below steps:-
- Tap on file > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Choose Import from another program or file and tap next.
- Now choose Outlook data file (.pst) and click next.
- Hit on the browse button to select the transfered .pst file and tap next.
- Choose the mailbox folder where you like to store the mail items and tap finish.
- So now the Outlook starts importing the mail items into PST file.
That’s how you can easily move OST File to New Computer by following the above step-by-step guide.
As we mentioned in the starting of the article, there is no direct way for transferring outlook files to new computer. So that’s why we suggested the manual ways that can help you to accomplish this task.
And if your OST file gets damaged then you can’t convert it into PST. For doing this you should try the SysInspire OST to PST Converter tool. It repairs the damaged OST file and allows the users to make it accessible for you.
Because when the OST file converts into PST then you can easily follow the rest of the steps given in this article.